The almost half-decade long fight for the Crum & Forster building came to a conclusion earlier in the year when the Georgia Tech Foundation and the City of Atlanta and its Board of Zoning Adjustment came to an agreement in Fulton County Superior Court as to what Georgia Tech could do with the Historic building at 771 Spring Street.
Much to the dismay of a large group of preservationists and private citizens who believed the City bypassed its own preservation regulations, the go ahead was given for Tech to remove the back two-thirds of the building that was constructed in 1928 and is a part of Technology Square.
The front portion of the building will be incorporated into the design of the computing center. The 695,000 square-foot private and public development project is looked upon to help support the economic development of Atlanta and the state through job creation, new tax revenues and a technology cluster.
The rear portion of the building was demolished this past fall. According to the project’s website, a developer will be selected in 2014 with construction slated to begin the following year.