The Fox Theatre has been home to Atlanta Ballet’s Nutcracker since 1995. The magical holiday journey again returned to Midtown this past weekend and performances are scheduled through Dec. 26.
Tickets start as low as $20 and are on sale now. Tickets can be purchased by phone at 855-ATL-TIXX, in person at the Fox Theatre Box Office and the Atlanta Ballet Box Office, or online at www.atlantaballet.com.
In honor of this beloved Atlanta family holiday tradition for more than five decades, here’s some fun facts.
About the Nutcracker himself:
- Commercial production of nutcracker toys dates back to the 1870s and originated in the Erzgebirge region of Germany.
- According to German folklore, displaying a nutcracker in your home brought good luck to the family and protected the home.
- The name originates from the nutcracker bird that cracks seeds with the help of its thick beak.
About the Fox Theatre:
- More than 750,000 people visit the Fox Theatre every year
- The Fox Theatre was one of the earliest air conditioned buildings in the country, even preceding the White House.
- It would cost more than $300 million to build the Fabulous Fox Theatre today.
About Atlanta Ballet's Nutcracker:
- Seventy-five costumes are used on stage per performance.
- During the dream sequence, the Petrov Christmas tree grows from 13 feet to 38 feet tall - the equivalent of a three-story building.
- Backstage, dancers get ready on five different levels of dressing rooms.