Let’s be honest. The concept of fast food was a genius one.
Unfortunately, as we all know, fast food has devolved into one big processed, unhealthy free-for-all. But, at its heart, there is still something to be said about a place that can turn out good, quality food fast.
For anyone that wants a quick bite on the go, Midtown has got us covered with some great, fast and cheap options that don’t skimp on the fresh, healthy ingredients. Bonus: Every place mentioned in this list has free parking, as well as take out menus. That means no hassle with the meter when all you want to do is run in for a quick bite before heading back to the office.
1) : Mediterranean cuisine is generally considered some of the healthiest, not to mention the tastiest, cuisines. Thank God for the people that run and their desire to churn out consistently delicious and authentic Med cuisine. You really can’t go wrong ordering any of their fantastic wraps, from gyro wraps to falafel or kufta (like a spicy meatball) wraps. If you’re feeling a little hungrier, Mediterranean Grill has you covered with several top-notch entrée options as well. In addition to these great options, their appetizers such as hummus and baba ganouj are always delicious. Don’t forget their fantastic baklava for dessert. The best part? You can get any of these fantastic Mediterranean dishes, many of them full-course meals, made fresh and quick while you wait.
2) : Here’s a concept that you don’t run into often: Persian/Southwest fusion cuisine. Sounds odd right? Well, guess what? At , it works amazingly well. The idea comes from Sheik's owner who was brought up by an Iranian father and went to school in Arizona. This culminated in his idea to combine to the two cuisines into a burrito stand that served Mexican-style burritos filled with Persian ingredients. The names of his burritos hint towards his humor with names like "La Dirka-Dirka" and "Al-DC Cabbie." Funny as they might sound, these are some mighty tasty burritos and they are all stuffed with great tasting and healthy ingredients. So you won’t feel like you’ve got a brick in your stomach after lunch like most traditional burrito joints. In addition to their set menu items, Sheik’s also has a "build your own burrito" option, so you can cram all your favorite ingredients into your own specialty burrito. Sheik does catering as well, so be sure to check out their options next time you stop in.
3) TINY Bistro: One of the greatest benefactors of the ascension of the foodie movement has been the humble sandwich, long considered an afterthought in the food pantheon -- something that you ate because it was easy. The art of sandwich making is getting increasingly highbrow, and the sandwiches being offered are becoming increasingly tasty. Nowhere else in the city is this more evident than at a place called TINY bistro, located on Marietta Street in West Midtown. TINY bistro is a little sandwich shop run by the Figs & Honey Catering group, and boy, do they know how to make a mouth-watering sandwich. Their menu consists of several sandwich types, both hot and cold, plus a great selection of delicious homemade sides. You can’t go wrong with their Roasted Beef sandwich, with sharp cheddar, horseradish mayo and arugula. Or try their awesome Cuban. Be sure to ask about their next wine tasting, which they put on with their neighbors, Hop City.
4) : There is a reason that most days there is a long line at . Their tacos are some of the best in the city. Their location on Howell Mill Road in West Midtown, an area that seems to be able to do no wrong when it comes to quality dining and drinking options, is surrounded by plenty of quality spots to eat. But Taqueria Del Sol still manages to stand out above the rest. Their menu, consisting mainly of different types of tacos and enchiladas, might seem a bit limited, but once you sink your teeth into any one of their top quality dishes, you’ll appreciate their focus. As they say themselves, they’d rather do a few things great than many things OK. Judging by their loyal clientele, they are doing those few things very, very well. Try their Memphis tacos, which consist of smoked pork with jalapeño coleslaw and tequila barbecue sauce. I promise, after eating here, you’ll never want to stop into another Moe’s again.
5) : ‘Fresh’ really is the operative word at , located at 10th Street and Monroe Drive. With a menu that changes regularly to reflect whatever fresh ingredients they have, popping in to MetroFresh is like having your mom make you something for lunch. In addition to their great selection of lunch items, ranging from soups and salads to some seriously yummy sandwiches, they also have a helpful little guide on their menu to let any health conscious diner know what items have what ingredients (i.e. fish, meat, diary, etc), as well as which ones are vegan, vegetarian or gluten-free. Grab a bowl of some of their awesome turkey chili or, if you’re feeling the need for some greens, get any one of their amazing salads. You really can’t go wrong with any dish at MetroFresh. Be sure to keep an eye out for their opening soon in the Botanical Garden!