In response to questions from the neighborhood and Midtown Ponce Secuirty Alliance, Major Whitmire of APD put out the following information:
- Due to Public Safety and Homeland Security reasons we do not publish or release Officer deployment or positions. There is no “standardize plan” for events. No two events in the park are alike. Each event has its own challenges . Each plan is different. Standardized in this text is just general event related items.
- Per ordinance the 1500 foot range is measured from the event area outward in a circle around the event. Sgt Clark and his people have always expanded the definition to be 1500 from the park extending into the neighborhood. This takes the area back to about 7th street.
- Parking enforcement south of the park will be strictly enforced by Park Atlanta, with support from Officers working the event out to the mandatory 1500 foot requirement. Park Atlanta will enforce beyond the 1500 ft requirement. Neighborhood parking permit areas will be enforced. Please make sure everyone has the proper permit, properly displayed to avoid a citation and /or towing. All calls to 911 regarding event related traffic or parking will be immediately dispatched to these units who will handle. There will be multiple supervisors working this event.
- Emergency no parking signs have been used in the past to reinforce existing “ no parking “ areas. No new “No Parking” areas were created unless included in the originally submitted safety plan and approved. This has created an issue for many in the south of park neighborhood who have complained about their use. These signs will no longer be used in this area. Vehicles parked in existing no parking areas will be issued citations. Vehicles parked in area marked no parking with a tow designation will be subject to a citation and towing. Any vehicle parked in a manner as to create a safety hazard will also be subject to towing.
- Please remember that all events held in the park are reviewed by the NPU. The event coordinators, security and traffic coordinators are present, ready to answer any questions and to present their plans. Please make sure that everyone that has interest in these events attends.