A Georgia Tech student was allegedly the victim of an armed robbery late Wednesday evening, one of two reported crimes on the Midtown campus Wednesday being investigated by the Georgia Tech Police Department (GTPD).
Earlier in the day, around 11:45 a.m., a Georgia Tech faculty member reported that he left his office in the Love Building unsecured and when he returned approximately five minutes later, he found an unknown male suspect in his office.
The victim confronted the suspect, who struck the victim before fleeing the building, which is located at 771 Ferst Drive. The suspect, described as a black male, between the ages of 20-25, standing 5-foot-8, with a thin build, was last seen in the area of Ferst Drive near the Student Center wearing black pants, a blue t-shirt and a black jacket with a white stripe down each sleeve.
He left behind a backpack containing stolen property that had been reported stolen from the Boggs Building on campus on Nov. 27. The victim sustained minor injuries.
Later Wednesday, at approximately 11 p.m., a male student working as an on-duty Housing Peer Leader, reported that he observed three suspicious males outside of Harrison Residence Hall, located at 660 Williams Street.
As the student approached the males to question them, one of the males brandished a black handgun. The student's belongings were stolen and the three males were last seen on foot headed towards North Avenue. There were no injuries reported.
All three suspects are described as being between 18-20 years of age. The man armed with the weapon is further described as standing 5-foot-10 with a heavy build, a tattoo above his right eyebrow and earrings in both ears. He was last seen wearing blue jeans and a white hooded sweatshirt.
The other two suspects are both described as having a thin build and standing 5-foot-8. Both were last seen wearing black pants with a black short sleeve shirt over a white long sleeve shirt.
If you have information regarding either of these crimes, please contact the GTPD at 404-894-2500 or email email@example.com.
In addition, you can help GTPD and the community fight crime. Don’t look the other way or ignore suspicious activity. If you see something that prompts concern, say something and notify GTPD immediately.
Additional safety information for the Georgia Tech community:
* Walk in well lit areas. To report inoperative exterior campus lighting, visit: http://www.facilities.gatech.edu/om/requests/lighting.php.
* Walk with a friend or in a group.
* Be alert of your surroundings.
* Immediately report suspicious activity to the GTPD by calling 404-894-2500. Program GTPD's number into your cell phone.
* For on campus transportation from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., please call Stingerette at 404-385-RIDE.
* Safety escorts are available through the GTPD by calling 404-894-2500 or 4-GTPD.
* Opt-in to the Jacket Guardian system to give GTPD access to vital info in case of an emergency and to allow cellphone users to make an emergency call directly to GTPD.