.

Loews Atlanta Hotel Evacuated After Parking Garage Fire

People in the hotel and office building had to wait for firefighters to check for carbon monoxide before getting to go back inside.

Firefighters had to run hoses a long ways through dense smoke. Credit: Atlanta Fire Rescue
Firefighters had to run hoses a long ways through dense smoke. Credit: Atlanta Fire Rescue

The Loews Atlanta Hotel had to be evacuated for a short time Thursday afternoon after a fire started in the parking garage at 1065 Peachtree Street.

"Two cars caught on fire in the parking garage," said Janet Ward, spokesperson for Atlanta Fire Rescue.

After the fire was extinguished at around 3:30 p.m., firefighters had to go through the hotel and office building to check for carbon monoxide in the two buildings that were affected. Once both were determined to be clear of the gas, firefighters gave the all safe call and let people back into the buildings just after 4 p.m.

Atlanta Fire Rescues Twitter feed said 11th Street near the scene remained closed as recently as 4:15 p.m.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »