MON - Dec. 10:
The Atlanta Public Schools' Board of Education is holding a special legislative meeting at 3 p.m. at 130 Trinity Ave. Board members will consider and could vote on a contract extention for APS Superintendent Erroll B. Davis Jr. Davis came in as superintendent to restore faith and order in the district following the discovery of a massive cheating scandal under Beverly Hall, the former superintendent. But Davis is not without his critics. One Buckhead parent has created a petition that asks the board to find an alternative to Davis.
- Also on the agenda:
- Item 1.01 – Report #12/13-0108 – A resolution in support of sequestration that urges Congress and the Obama Administration to mitigate the across-the-board cuts to education that are scheduled to occur Jan. 2, 2013.
- Item 1.02 – Refer to the Board’s Policy Committee, a revision to Policy BBD Board and Superintendent Relations, to include specific language addressing advance communications of significant district-wide or local decisions, events, and activities. - Péralte Paul
TUE - Dec. 11:
For a 24-hour period beginning Tuesday at midnight, 16th Street between Peachtree Street and Arts Center Way will be closed for the filming of scenes for a television series. Buses in area (Routes #37 & #110) will require a slight reroute inbound. The reroute will be as follows:
- Routes #37 & #110 Arts Center Station (Inbound)
- Cont: Peachtree St.
- Right – 15th St. Regular route
- Routes #37 & #110 (Outbound)
- Regular route
WED - Dec. 12:
The Council of Intown Neighborhoods and Schools (CINS), the Atlanta nonprofit that advocates for the Grady schools cluster, will hold its final Community Meeting of 2012 at Springdale Park Elementary School. The program - “APS’ Human Resources – Hiring, Staffing, Leveling and Professional Development” - is scheduled to begin at noon.
CINS’ community meetings are always free and open to the public. Please feel free to bring your own brown bag lunch and come and join others who are interested in the success of the Grady cluster. To become a member or add your name to the CINS’ eblast list, click here.
THURS - Dec. 13:
The Inman Middle School Holiday Concert will take place from 6-8 p.m. The concert, string and orchestra bands, along with the school chorus, will perform a number of holiday songs at this annual winter holiday celebration at Inman.
Also Thursday (and Saturday, too), the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra performs Handel’s Messiah. Norman Mackenzie conducts the ASO and Chamber Chorus in Handel’s Messiah and “Gloria” from Bach’s Mass in B minor. The performances begin at 8 p.m.